We are proud to announce that NIKITA is well and truly focused on becoming a sustainable and carbon neutral brand by the end of 2023.
We understand and respect the importance of continuously improving existing processes and materials in order to best suit our environment.
These values have been embedded in our brand from the very beginning and transparency is at the core of what we do, however we are aware there are further changes we need to make in order to genuinely make a difference to our planet.
We are continuously researching and actively improving practices to ensure we can reach our goal by next year.
We are a sustainably-conscious brand, avoiding all things fast-fashion, with our heart and mind in the right place.
Our customers can rest assured we are doing all we can at this moment to improve our practices to protect our environment.
We have provided further details below to ensure transparency between us and our customers.
IMRPOVEMENTS WE ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON...
PRODUCT DESIGN & MATERIALS
• Continuing to design and manufacture with the focus on quality over quantity. Our collections are made in small, exclusive quantities. We pride ourselves in our ability to listen to our customer feedback through a strong consumer-led approach. We avoid mass production and launch new products with limited stock to ensure we only supply for genuine customer demand to avoid surpless stock.
• Creating timeless, long-lasting designs as opposed to chasing fleeting trends.
• Designing more eco-friendly, reusable home products to replace single use plastic e.g. our glass dispensers, metal/glass water bottles and storage solutions.
• Improved jewellery materials to waterproof and tarnish free plating to increase lifespan and reduce waste. Our jewellery is primarily made of medical grade 316L stainless steel. Our plating is hypoallergenic and has better intergranular corrosion resistance, meaning its welds will not decay. 316L stainless steel possesses less carbon and molybdenum than typical 316 steel.
AUDITS & CERTIFICATIONS
• Currently undergoing an extensive SGS audit and predicted to achieve a higher than average sustainability rating certificate on all areas.
• Obtained signed sustainability declarations (including everything from product materials to employee ethics and workplace conditions) from our long-standing manufacturers in Turkey, China and India. See more below.
We choose our suppliers very carefully and have been through a lot of ups and downs and trial and error over the passed 6+ years to find the right manufacturers for us and our customers.
We are extremely picky and have since limitied our production to very few trusted teams to ensure we share the same ethics and regard for our planet.
We have initiated an indepth audit of our jewellery manufacturers and obtained signed declarations confirming the following:
• No children are employed in any stage of product production processes.
• No forced or child labour are used in any stage of product production processes.
• Freedom of association and collective bargaining is respected (as proclaimed by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the ILO Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work).
• Employment is freely chosen among workers with living wages paid across the supply chain, being fairly compensated and humanely treated.
• Non-discrimination is practiced in the workplace.
• Workers across the entire supply chain are provided with a safe working environment
• Youth labor is avoided -and if employed- protection measures are taken based on international standards.
• Products have not been tested on animals No high-risk commodities (e.g. palm oil, cacao, soy, tungsten, etc.) are used in the production of our products OR if they were used, we have obtained certifications confirming that these commodities were responsibly sourced.
• The production of products do not result in increased threat to endangered or at-risk species.
• Products do not contain Carcinogenic, Mutagenic, or Reproductive (CMR) toxins Products are free from any microplastics and nanoplastics.
HEALTH AND SAFETY / WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Working conditions are safe and hygienic (as proclaimed by the Occupational Safety and Health Convention adopted by the ILO, and it’s several Codes of Practise)Working hours are not excessive (Extra-hours are sporadically accepted and remunerated accordingly)Effective management systems are in place to manage safety risks in the workplace.
• A fair pay for workers in the supply chain that is equal to fair trade certification standards for the sector.
• The factory prevent severe safety hazards by: identifying risks, ensure protective equipment is maintained, staff are trained on how to use and store the equipment safely.
Signed by our exclusive manufacturers in February 2022 and further verified by Dayrize B.V.'s Actionable Impact Assessment (SAAS).
• Introduced 100% FSC certified recyclable gift packaging (excluding resuable velvet insert).
• Introduced 100% FSC certified recyclable brand messaging/cards.
• Introduced 98% biodegradable outer packaging.
• Removed dispatch notes and return labels from all parcel to reduce paper waste.
• Introduced a more energy-efficient thermal printer for our outer packaging address labels.
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
• Introduced a jewellery recycling scheme for our customers to return unwanted NIKITA jewellery in exchange for a discount on their next purchase. We will take action to upcycle or repurpose each returned item or donate to our chosen women's charity.
• Introduced a Pre-Owned collection for customers to shop returned products in good condition at a lower price to prevent waste and give items that would have otherwise been disposed of another life cycle.
• Included jewellery care instructions on FSC certified recyclable paper to educate our customers on how to ensure longest wear.
• Added instructions to our packaging and website for our customers on how best to recycle NIKITA products and packaging.
• Converted 95% of our company's records and paperwork to digital files.
• Partnered with a carbon neutral courier with the lowest carbon emissions per parcel in the UK.
• Embody fair employment practices, ensuring diversity, a kind working environment, sufficient breaks/sick pay and appropriate salaries, payrises/promotions and bonuses.
• Trained our team in jewellery repair to reduce unnecessary waste.
• Donated profits of specific product launches to relevant charities and organisations.
• Partnered with women's charities to donate our customers' unwanted jewellery to increase their lifespan.
• We import products via sea or air and combine shipments at ports to ensure we are saving space and reducing unnecessary vessel trips.
• Taking action to lower our in-house carbon footprint through electric vehicles, low energy bulbs and more.
• Making steps towards becoming a completely carbon neutral brand by the end of 2023.
Nikita By Niki Limited recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements.
We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods.
We will encourage customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to do the same.
Nikita Mahon, Director, is responsible for ensuring that this environmental policy is implemented, however, all employees have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of this policy are met.
We endeavour to: Comply with all relevant regulatory requirements.
Continually improve and monitor environmental performance. Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
Increase employee awareness and training.
We will: Minimise the use of paper in the office.
Reduce packaging as much as possible.
Seek to buy recycled and recyclable paper products.
Reuse and recycle all paper where possible.
ENERGY AND WATER
We will seek to: Reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
Switch off lights and electrical equipment when not in use.
Adjust heating with energy consumption in mind.
Take energy consumption and efficiency of new products into account when purchasing them.
We will: Evaluate if the need can be met in another way.
Evaluate if renting or sharing is an option before purchasing equipment.
Evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase.
Favour more environmentally friendly and efficient products wherever possible.
Reuse and recycle everything we are able to.
We will: Reduce the need to travel, restricting to necessary trips only.
Promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
Make additional efforts to accommodate the needs of those using public transport or bicycles.
Favour 'green' vehicles and maintain them rigorously to ensure ongoing efficiency.
MAINTENANCE & CLEANING
We will: Use cleaning materials that are as environmentally friendly as possible.
Use materials in any office refurbishment that are as environmentally friendly as possible.
Only use licensed and appropriate organisations to dispose of waste.
MONITORING AND IMPROVEMENT
We will: Comply with all relevant regulatory requirements.
Continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
Increase employee awareness through training.
Review this policy and any related business issues at weekly management meetings.
We will: Update this policy at least once annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
Involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance.
Provide staff with relevant environmental training.
Work with suppliers, contractors and subcontractors to improve their environmental performance.
Use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.
Policy updated and signed as of July 2023.
We may not yet be where we want to be but we are proud of a progress towards a more ethical and sustainable set of practices.
Making these improvements has been at the forefront for NIKITA for some years now and we have dedicated sufficient time and budget to be able to see these through, in the hope to be a completely carbon neutral and sustainable brand in the next year.